Whether you own a business or plan to start one, there’s one thing you must know: Your business and dreams deserve protection.
At DuFord Law, our passion is securing you, your personal finances and your services. As the go-to business attorney team in San Diego, we make sure your business is airtight, so you can ditch that fear at the back of your mind - that fear of someone taking advantage of contract loopholes or deciding to bring suit. We do this through:
- Creating contracts
- Forming your business entity (LLC, S-Corp, etc.)
- Executing trademarks and/or copyrights
- Dealing with your hiring and firing
- Anything else a business needs, we do
Our Business Attorney Team in San Diego Protects Your Business
A lawsuit may sound like a scary, intangible image from a courtroom drama, but, with us, it’s not. As business attorneys in San Diego, we’ve been to trial. We’ve been in those courtrooms and know exactly what to expect.
Backed by years of litigation experience, our lawyers know how things will play out in court. Using this know-how, we can show you exactly what to do to avoid lawsuits. Turn your stress over to us.
Because our lawyers get what matters for contracts that will actually protect you.
You may feel nervous thinking about the “legal side” of business, but you have to expect the unexpected.
Better yet, let us do it for you.
How We’ll Protect Your Brand
A Note From Kelly
Kelly DuFord here, Managing Partner of DuFord Law, lawyer, wife, and mom. As a female entrepreneur raising three kids, I understand the stress and pressure of running a business. In fact, it’s why I am so passionate about serving entrepreneurs. Born and raised in Ireland, I was surrounded by smart, amazing women - who lacked the empowerment to work and pursue their dreams. The law restricted women in terms of career and opportunity, which always stuck with me. Now, as a lawyer on a mission to serve small businesses, I am here to guide you through important legal steps that help protect you and let your dreams flourish. The courtroom is my playground, my favorite place to be, but if I can keep you out of it, I want to, But if you need to be in one, you want me next to you.
Think You Need a Copyright or Trademark Attorney?
We also act as an intellectual property attorney in San Diego and a trademark attorney in San Diego - and beyond. First, let’s confirm the difference between trademark and copyright.
- A copyright is a creation that is fixed and tangible. That’s why an idea, fact or general “concept” can’t be protected. Only a specific creative work like a book, painting or song can be copyrighted. It’s why you hear about people “stealing songs”. Remember the “Under Pressure” and “Ice Ice Baby” song debacle? A plagiarism suit was threatened because of how similar Ice Ice sounded to the Queen/Bowie tune.
- Trademark protects your brand, like a name or logo, from market confusion. Registering your company name and/or logo prevents others from using the name and/or logo in the same field. A cafe could not name themselves Starbucks Coffee because the name “Starbucks Coffee” is trademarked.
If you are interested in having a brand name, logo or other business element trademarked or copyrighted, talk to our business attorney team in San Diego and find out if you’re eligible.